Charles Kincaid Grocery and Market was
established in 1946.
O.R. Gentry, the meat cutter in Kincaid's meat
market, acquired the business and in 1966 began cooking hamburgers made from excess choice
beef that was ground daily. Kincaid's Hamburgers began with a small used
grill and initially, 40 to 50 hamburgers were sold per day. Most of the customers were
from the immediate neighborhood and Arlington Heights High School students began to come
to the market for lunch. The students told their parents and friends how good the burgers
were and the word began to spread throughout Fort Worth.
The business grew rapidly and
the grocery store began to evolve from a market to a hamburger grill. Grocery items were
replaced by counter-tops made from the stock shelves that had previously held bread,
coffee, and cans of vegetables. Articles began to appear in the local press and local
television stations even featured on-site news spots. Texas Monthly magazine
chose Kincaid's hamburger as the "best burger in Texas".
A national panel of food editors and food critics chose Kincaid's
hamburger as the "best burger in the USA". Readers of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram
have chosen Kincaid's as the "best burger in Tarrant
County" year after year.
3,300 hamburgers were served on the single largest day in Kincaid's
history. The hamburgers are handmade from eight ounces of the very best U.S. Choice boneless
chuck available. The meat is ground fresh daily and everyday is virtually a sellout.